1. The research paper should be 6-8 pages in length. Equal amount of research should be
conducted on both items listed under your topic. The paper should reflect your
research skills and commitment to learning the topic. Ideally, the paper should have a
one page introduction and a one page conclusion. The remaining 4-6 pages should be
dedicated to your research findings. Please number your pages.
2. Your paper should use a minimum of five different sources. These sources should be a
variety of books, journal articles, and scholarly websites.
a. DO NOT USE JUST WEBSITES. WEBSITES ENDING IN .com SHOULD BE AVOIDED.
For research papers such as this, websites ending in .edu, .org, or .gov are more
b. ENCYCLOPEDIAS SHOULD NOT BE USED. THIS INCLUDES WIKIPEDIA.com. If you
absolutely must use a website or wikipedia.com, please cite them correctly and
have them listed in your bibliography, but it will not count as one of your five
3. When quoting or paraphrasing a source in your paper, you must properly cite the
material. You should have between 2-5 citations per page. Considering the importance
St. John’s University puts on plagiarism, it is better to cite information when you are not
a. Your citation method must be recognized by one of the accredited citation
styles. These are: The Chicago Manual of Style (Chicago/Kate Turabian),
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA), and The
MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (MLA).
4. Your paper must have a cover page. On the cover page, you should have:
a. Title of your paper
b. Your name
c. HIS 1000c
d. Professor’s name
5. You need to have a bibliography at the end of your paper. This does not count towards
your 6-8 pages. The bibliography must be properly formatted. You may want to use:
a. KnightCite Citation Service (http://www.calvin.edu/library/knightcite/)
b. EasyBib: Free Bibliography Maker (http://www.easybib.com/)
c. BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker (http://www.bibme.org/).