Provide accurate information that backs up both sides of the issue and your final argument. Thus, critically evaluate the sources used in your essay as authoritative, reliable, relevant,and appropriate.
Format for the Assignment
1. Explain why or how the topic you chose is important in the broader discussion of civic responsibility.
2. Include and analyze three cons on the issue chosen.
3. Include and analyze three pros on the issue chosen.
4. Include your final position on the issue by explaining your logic and reasoning, using specific examples.
5. In your conclusion also give the context, effects, or results of your conclusion.
List of Approved Topics
Choose from the list of approved topics below which identifies highly complex political problems, questions, or issues in Texas politics and government. If you would like to use a topic not on the list below, you must first get written approval from your instructor. Instructors are always allowed to add their own custom topics to this list.
1. Free Higher Education and/or Student Loan Debt Forgiveness
2. Private Prisons and/or Private Policing
3. Gun Control (ex. Campus Carry and Constitutional (Permitless) Carry)
4. Medical and Recreational Marijuana and/or Legalization of all Drugs
5. Minimum Wage and/or Universal Basic Income
6. Felons’ Voting Rights and/or Felons’ Eligibility to Run for Office
7. Term Limits for Elected Officials and/or Campaign Finance Reform
8. Voting by Mail and Online and/or Voter Registration
9. Amendments/Revision of the Texas Constitution
10. Social Media’s Impact on Government and One’s Social Responsibility
11. A More Powerful Texas Governor and/or Weaker Lt. Governor
12. Local Governments Exerting More Control Over Policy (examples: voting, sanctuary cities, abortion, etc…)