EXTRA CREDIT- STIGMA FOR A DAY
Purpose: The purpose of this extra credit assignment is to experience being stigmatized, and to relate that experience to the class lecture and readings.
1. Get a medium-to-large Band-Aid (the bigger the better) and place it on your face. It should not cover your eyes or otherwise impair your functioning. Place it on your cheek or forehead, where it is visible to others.
2. Walk in a public area for at least 1 hour with the Band-Aid on your face. This should be an area with people about, such as a shopping district, but make sure it is a place where you can safely social-distance. You can also do this while using social media, such as Zoom or Webex or any other media where you are seen and can see others. DO NOT DO THIS ON CAMPUS. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A FRIEND—DO IT ALONE.
3. As you wander about, note others’ reactions to you. Note your own experience; your feelings, and how you believe others are behaving toward you.
4. Complete the brief survey on the next page.
5. Complete a 1-page write-up of your experience. NO MORE THAN ONE PAGE! This should be a full page, double-spaced, with 12-point font and 1-inch margins.
Your write-up should refer to 2 class readings and/or 2 points made in the stigma lecture.
It should also include:
a. Where you conducted your experience (i.e., shopping area, social media, etc.)
b. How long you did the task
c. Your impressions of others’ reactions to you.
d. Your own personal experience. How it felt being reacted to.
STIGMA EXERCISE SURVEY
1. Name (PRINT CLEARLY) ______________________________________________________
2. Gender: _____ Male _____ Female
3. Age: _________
4. What size was your Band-Aid?: ___ Very Small ____ Small ____ Medium ____ Large ____ Very Large
5. Where did you conduct your study? ________________________________________________
6. How long (in minutes) did you conduct your study?_______________________
Not At All Very
Little Some-what A
1. You felt comfortable with your Band Aid 1 2 3 4 5
2. You felt others were staring at you. 1 2 3 4 5
3. You felt others were avoiding looking at you. 1 2 3 4 5
4. You felt people treated you differently 1 2 3 4 5
5. You felt embarrassed. 1 2 3 4 5
6. You felt angry. 1 2 3 4 5
7. You felt amused. 1 2 3 4 5
8. You were glad when the hour was over 1 2 3 4 5